Powers of Attorney designate who should take care of you if and when you become incapacitated and are unable to make decisions for yourself.  Powers of Attorney end when you pass away.  There are different types of Powers of Attorney.

HEALTHCARE:  During your lifetime, you can designate someone to make healthcare decisions for you if you become incapacitated.  This includes approving medication and medical procedures and ultimately deciding whether to end medical intervention.  

This may or may not include mental healthcare.  At times, mental healthcare needs require a separate Power of Attorney. 

FINANCIAL:  You can designate someone to make financial decisions for you now or if you become incapacitated.  This is called a General Durable Power of Attorney.  It would include paying your bills and managing your household while you are incapacitated.  

Powers of Attorney can easily and quickly, without court involvement, give someone else the ability to assist you if you are unable to care for your own needs. 

If there is a problem with how the Powers of Attorney are used, a Judge may be asked to provide assistance to the incapacitated person, often by appointing a Guardian or Conservator (discussed in a different section of this website).


A Living Will provides your instructions to the Court and others about the type of medical treatment you wish to receive when you are unable to communicate your wishes yourself. This includes, but is not limited to, whether or not you would like to be kept alive on life support or even taken to the hospital, should that situation arise. 

To schedule an appointment, contact Denise Riden at 480-656-9765 or office@ridenlaw.com.

Notice: The information provided in this website is meant only as general information, may not apply to your case specifically and is not meant to be relied upon for the purpose of taking legal action. Providing this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. To create such a relationship, both the attorney and potential client must first sign a written fee agreement. You should contact the attorney in person for further and specific information.

This website is an advertisement for legal services.